Built in 1735 and added to in 1812, The Old Deanery was originally called Glebe House and was the residence of Rev. H. Newland. It was built with the aid of a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1805. The property originally comprised of 29 acres held at a yearly rent of £15 by deed executed in 1778.
Originally a five bay two storey, over basement, gable ended house with a round headed, shouldered granite architrave doorcase which faced onto St. Peters’ Church.This door was transferred to its present position at the side of the house when extended in 1812.The sidelights still remain in place at the original doorway, although an extra range were added in 1835 to the gable end.